AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE KURE BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT
The Kure Beach Police Department has recently received complaints about someone calling and posing as a Cyber Crime Fraud Unit with a financial institution. The caller is requesting personal information. The caller may leave a message on your answering machine and a number to call, and may also tell you he/she will call the police if you do not respond.
This is a FRAUD.
- DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE. This includes your name, birthdate, social security number, bank account number, passwords or security codes.
- If you are not sure if it is a legitimate call, call your bank directly, using the customer assistance number provided on your bank statement or on the back of your debit or credit card. DO NOT CALL THE PHONE NUMBER LEFT ON YOUR ANSWERING MACHINE.
- Tell any "CYBER CRIME FRAUD UNIT" to call the Kure Beach Police Department at 910-458-7586, and we will handle any appropriate criminal matters.
- Take the "CYBER CRIME FRAUD UNIT" individual's name and telephone number, but don't provide the individual with any of your information.
- If the individual threatens to call the police, beat him/her to the punch. Call 911 and ask to speak to a Kure Beach Police officer.
If you have any questions, please contact the police department.