Can I walk my dog on the Kure Beach strand?

You may walk your leashed dog on the Kure Beach strand anytime from October 1st to March 31st. It shall be unlawful for any person to have or allow their dog to be upon the beach within the Town’s jurisdictional limits during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from April 1st through September 30th of each year.

What is the ordinance regarding Real Estate signs?

Real Estate signs placed upon any property within the Town of Kure Beach shall be limited to one sign only. No real estate sign may be placed on the right-of-way of the Town of Kure Beach. Upon any violation of this ordinance, the Building Inspector is authorized to remove said sign. See 8.10.010 of the Town of Kure Beach Code of Ordinances for further details pertaining to this ordinance. There is a per sign, per day, non-compliance citation fee if the 72-hour notification letter from the Building Inspector is not heeded.

Is there an ordinance about garbage cart placement?

A garbage cart must be placed at property line no earlier than sunset the day before pickup and must be retrieved and placed next to property structure before midnight the day of pickup. See 7.18.020,B,5 of the Town of Kure Beach Code of Ordinances for all details pertaining to this ordinance. There is a per violation, per day, non-compliance citation fee if the 7-day notification letter from the Building Inspector is not heeded.

What is the ordinance regarding unkempt vacant lots in Kure Beach?

The Building Inspector makes vacant lot inspections periodically, checking for compliance with Town ordinance. See 8.02.010,A of the Town of Kure Beach Code of Ordinances for all details pertaining to this ordinance. There is a per lot, per occurrence, non-compliance citation fee if the 15-day notification letter from the Building Inspector is not heeded.

Where can I buy a fishing license?

Fishing licenses can be purchased at the Blue Marlin Beach Shop, located at 309 N. Fort Fisher Blvd. between M & N Avenues. Call 910-458-5752 for store hours and additional information. Licenses can also be purchased online at www.ncwildlife.org or bought over the phone at the Wildlife Resources Commission 888-248-6834, Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm. Remember that you’ll need a coastal or surf-fishing license, not an inland fishing license, to fish in our coastal waters.

Do I need a fishing license to fish off of the Kure Beach Fishing Pier?

No fishing license is required to fish off of the pier, but there is a nominal fee involved to be allowed to do so. Go to www.kurebeachfishingpier.com for details and to view photos of the fish that didn’t get away. The Kure Beach Fishing pier operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from April 1st through Thanksgiving Sunday.  The Kure Beach Fishing Pier also offers arcade games, concession treats, and a gift/souvenir shop. Access to the pier is free to those not fishing.

Is there a library close by?

The Pleasure Island Public Library is located in Carolina Beach in the same shopping center as Food Lion. Call for details and hours of operation at  910-798-6380.

Is there a Post Office close by?

The Kure Beach Post Office is located at 237 N. Fort Fisher Blvd, between L & M Avenues. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday   from 9am-12pm then from 2pm-4:30pm, and on Saturday from 10am-12pm. The phone number is 910-458-5592

Can I have a campfire on the beach?

Absolutely NO fires are allowed on the Kure Beach strand.

Can I drive my vehicle onto the Kure Beach strand?

Kure Beach does not allow any vehicles on its beach strand except approved Town vehicles for the purpose of beach clean-up and emergency personnel.  You can contact the following beaches which allow 4-wheel drive vehicles in designated areas for a fee:


Freeman Park in Carolina Beach 910-458-2994

Fort Fisher State Recreation Area 910-458-5798

Can I hold a wedding ceremony on the Kure Beach strand?

Small wedding ceremonies are allowed on the beach strand and additional information can be found here. Please contact the Recreation Department at 910-458-8216 or parks@tokb.org should you have additional questions or wish to rent a Kure Beach facility for your big day.

How and where can I obtain a marriage license?

In New Hanover County, Marriage License applications are taken Monday through Friday from 8:30am-4:00pm at the NHC Register of Deeds located at  216 N. Second Street,  Room 2. The phone number is 910-798-4530. Each person will need a valid driver’s license or DMV picture ID card, a certified copy of the birth certificate and a valid Social Security card.

If I see a stranded or dead marine mammal on the beach, what should I do?

Contact one of the following people as soon as possible. It is crucial that the marine mammal be examined soon after it washes ashore to assist in its recovery or to collect fresh tissue samples from a deceased mammal to determine the cause of death. Please try all phone numbers until you have reached a stranding response person.

Bill McLellan – 910-962-7266 UNCW; 910-686-6104 HOME; or 910-264-9816 CELL.


Paul Barrington – 910-458-8259 x221 NC AQUARIUM; 910-792-1755 HOME.

What are your other ordinances regarding dogs?

We have several ordinances pertaining to dogs. These can be found under Chapter 9 of the Kure Beach Code of Ordinances. For instance, it is unlawful for owners to allow their dog to be off their property without being on a leash or restraint which shall not exceed fifteen (15) feet in length. It is also unlawful for anyone to take the animal off its own property limits without the means of removal of pet feces. Persons in possession of the animal must immediately and properly remove and dispose of their animal's feces from any area within the limits of the Town of Kure Beach, except their own private property.

Is there any where in Kure Beach where I can let my dog go off of its leash?

Joe Eakes Park is located on K Avenue going west. It is across the street from the Kure Beach Police Department. There, you’ll find a fenced-in area behind the playground and the tennis courts. This is the Gurney Hood Barking Lot, made especially for you and your pooch pal to run free.

What does my Golf Cart need to be "Street Legal" in order to obtain a license tag?